Bio design crosses the border between the ‘made’ and the ‘born’. Enabling living organisms as essential design elements, it brings us products that adapt, grow, sense and repair themselves. For those new to the subject (and those in the know) who would like to gain (more) experience on what bio design encompasses; this is for you.
Bio Design Talks
We've been asked to curate a program for DDW to bring you up to speed with the rapidly evolving field of bio design. On 23 October, our editor-in-chief Ruben Baart talks crossing the border between the 'made' and the 'born' with a number of leading thinkers and makers.
The program features an introductory keynote by William Myers, author of Bio Design: Nature, Science, Creativity; visual keynotes by bio designers Teresa van Dongen and Emma van der Leest; keen insights by Prof. Pirjo Kääriänen, founder of CHEMARTS, a collaboration of Aalto CHEM and Aalto ARTS, at the Aalto University; and an inspirational talk by DDW Ambassador Jalila Essaïdi, founder of the BioArt Laboratories.
What? DDW Talks: Bio Design
When? 23 October 2019 from 1.30pm to 5pm
Where? FIFTH | NRE, Gasfabriek 5, Eindhoven
Tickets This event is part of the professionals program (register for early bird €75 via this link). But members of Next Nature Network attend this event for free! Drop us a line to claim your ticket.
Bio Design Route
Hungry for more? That's more like it! Discover the latest in bio design along our scenic route through the city of light. Enjoy:
- Growing Pavilion, Ketelhuisplein, Strijp-S
- Homo Sensorium, Natlab, Strijp-S
- CHEMARTS, Veem, Floor 3, Strijp-S
- Biomaterials Archive, Molenveld 42, Downtown
- H.E.R.B.S., Schellensfabriek | Downtown
- UNSEAM Seamlessly Shaping Textiles, Warehouse of Innovation, Central
- In the Age of Post-Drought, Hallen (north entrance), Campina
- Embassy of Water, Het Lab, Campina
- Digestible Chunks of Information, Sectie-C, Sectie-C
- The Symbiocene Forest, BioArt Laboratories, Strijp T+R
Visit the Dutch Design Week from 19-27 October in Eindhoven. Follow us on Instagram, here we feature the most inspiring #nextnature projects at DDW19 in the coming weeks!